Часовой пояс: UTC + 2 часа

Автор Сообщение
 Заголовок сообщения: the Hurricanes hope to pick up a win i
СообщениеДобавлено: 09 мар 2018, 03:42 

Cпасибо сказано: 0
Спасибо получено:
0 раз в 0 сообщении
city, country: Melbourne
TORONTO -- Jermain Defoes anguish at being snubbed by England is still keenly felt. It doesnt help that reporters keep asking him about it, each question ripping off another part of the scab. "Every day I wake up, its still frustrating and its still baffling (as) to why I wasnt selected," he said Saturday. "But youve got to move on." The 31-year-old striker wrapped up a week that started with his relegation to Englands World Cup taxi squad with a rocket of a goal to help Toronto FC to a 2-0 win over the New York Red Bulls before 22,591 on a sunny afternoon at BMO Field. In truth, Defoe could have had even more on the day. But his 12th-minute blast into the top of the Red Bulls goal spoke volumes. "Thats exactly how I thought he would react," said Toronto manager Ryan Nelsen, "A brilliant goal, wasnt it? "Thats Jermain Defoe. And thats why England will miss him dearly, I think, come World Cup time." Red Bulls star Thierry Henry was also full of praise. "Jermain Defoe has been doing this since he was 14 years old and as long as he plays he will do that," said the French forward. Defoe downplayed the significance of his strike, "because Ive been doing that for my whole career. And people know that." "Thats what Ive done since Ive been over here," added Defoe, who now has four goals in five MLS games. "Its not my first goal Ive just continued to do what I do. Work hard and stay positive and get my goals." But prompted again, Defoe acknowledged the goal was a littler sweet. "Its only normal, when you get disappointment, to try and prove people wrong. And just to remind people that, at the end of the day, this is what Im doing. And I think I did that today." Defoe, who has 19 goals and 55 caps for his country, could still be called up to the 23-man main England squad in event of injury. Defoe didnt even see his goal go in. He hit it and went flying as a defender clattered into him. "It was funny because I was on the floor," he said. "I looked at the crowd and everyone was celebrating it so I thought OK, it went in." Englands loss is clearly Torontos gain. "Hes a massive part of whats going on here. Our talisman, so to speak. He gets the goals that win us games," midfielder Bradley Orr said of Defoe. Luke Moore scored late in stoppage-time as Toronto snapped its three-game losing streak. On a day where Arsenal won the FA Cup at Wembley, former Gunners star Henry -- while showing flashes of his brilliance -- was relegated to a supporting role as the Red Bulls saw their 10-game unbeaten streak against Toronto snapped. Both Defoe and Henry made their names scoring goals for north London clubs in the English Premier League. Defoe collected 153 goals for Tottenham while the 36-year-old Henry potted 228 for Arsenal. The New York attack also featured English forward Bradley Wright-Phillips, who came into the game leading MLS with nine goals this season. Toronto (4-4-0) had lost four out of its last five games after opening the MLS campaign with two consecutive wins. New York (3-4-5) was coming off an ugly 5-4 loss to the previously winless Chicago Fire, which snapped its four-game undefeated streak. And the Red Bulls looked sloppy Saturday, turning the ball over in the early going. A poor pass from fullback Kosuke Kimura led to Torontos first goal when Orr beat Dax McCarty to the ball in midfield and drove forward. He spotted Defoe and slotted a perfect pass, with the striker hammering a right-footed rocket into the top of the net in the 12th minute. Orr, a defender, moved into midfield to help fill the void left by Michael Bradley (with the U.S. World Cup team), Brazilian winger Jackson (concussion) and newly acquired Collen Warner (suspended). He gave all the credit to Defoe on the goal, saying he made the move that created the opening for the pass. "He makes your mind up. His movements that good. World-class. He makes your mind up," said Orr, who had a fine game. Moore, in his home debut, scored his first goal for Toronto with a tap-in after a defensive miscommunication. A long goal kick by Torontos Joe Bendik turned into disaster for New York when goalie Luis Robles collided with defender Chris Duval, leaving Moore to dribble the ball in. Still it was far from a complete performance from an undermanned Toronto squad. At times, the Red Bulls sliced through the home side but could not finish. Toronto wobbled early in the second half and New York missed a glorious opportunity to tie it in the 62nd minute when Wright-Phillips, facing an empty goal, shockingly skied the ball after Bendik palmed away a dangerous cross. Both teams have lost stars to the World Cup: fullback Roy Miller (Costa Rica) and midfielder Tim Cahill (Australia) for New York and Bradley (U.S.) for Toronto. Goalie Julio Cesar, who had been slated to play for Toronto on Saturday before joining Brazil, was out with the flu. The game may cost Toronto. Midfielder Jonathan Osorio played the whole game despite having his hand stepped on in the opening minutes. He was due for an X-ray later, amid fears of a fracture. Toronto started rookie Nick Hagglund at centre back, shifting Doneil Henry to the bench. In his last three games, the 21-year-old Canadian international has given up two penalties and a giveaway that led to a goal. Nelsen offered a different explanation, saying Henry had played 120 minutes during the midweek Amway Canadian Championship semifinal in Vancouver and had a sore quad and head knock. "I just felt like he needed a rest and Nick had kind of deserved his chance," Nelsen said. Faced with one of the games greats in Henry, Hagglund acquitted himself well on the day. Henry introduced himself to Hagglund by racing past the rookie and then felling him with a late tackle that earned a yellow card in the sixth minute. On the plus side, Hagglund got to shake hands with a repentant Henry. A laughing Hagglund said his thought at the time was "Foul me again, Ill shake your hand again." The Red Bulls had not lost to Toronto since June 24, 2009, a 7-0-3 stretch that saw them outscore TFC 25-5. "Obviously, the first half we werent good enough," said New York coach Mike Petke, who took solace in an improved second-half showing. "The pitch was a bit bobbly but that was no excuse for how bad on the ball we were. We had too many giveaways, too many loose passes and too many instances where we gave them the ball back too easily." Derek Newton Jersey . Louis Cardinals have agreed to a one-year contract. Kendall Lamm Jersey .Y. - The Buffalo Sabres reassigned forward Sam Reinhart to the WHLs Kootenay Ice on Friday. http://www.nfltexansproauthentic.com/Bl ... ch-Jersey/. The Calgary Stampeders announced both moves on Wednesday. Parker played 17 regular season games with the Stampeders in 2013, setting career-highs in catches (21) and yards (217). Jeff Allen Jersey . -- What Anthony Jennings lacked in experience, LSU more than compensated for with a talented supporting cast in the Outback Bowl. Whitney Mercilus Jersey . "We were left with the overall impression that the team wasnt trending toward being able to compete for a Stanley Cup," Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said in a news conference at the clubs arena. "And that was just a clear signal and why it was time to make those changes.Two struggling teams meet up in Calgary tonight when the Flames host the Carolina Hurricanes at the Scotiabank Saddledome. Calgary enters Thursday having lost two of three and the Flames were stung by the former face of their franchise in Tuesdays 2-1 loss against Jarome Iginla and the Boston Bruins. Iginlas return to Calgary was a triumphant one, as the Bruins overcame a 1-0 deficit with a pair of late goals to down the Flames. Reilly Smith potted the game-winner for Boston with 4:33 left to play, a mere 98 seconds after David Krejci recorded the equalizer with the Bruins on the power play. Iginla, the Flames all-time leader in goals (525), points (1,095) and games played (1,219), faced the club he spent 16 highly productive seasons with for the first time since Calgary traded its longtime captain to Pittsburgh during last Aprils trade deadline. The revered 36-year-old received a warm and rousing ovation from the home crowd during introductions. "It brought back a lot of great memories," Iginla said of his return. Jiri Hudler had the lone goal for Calgary, which received 22 saves from Reto Berra in a losing cause. "I think the best way to describe this is a lack of maturity," Flames head coach Bob Hartley said of his team allowing Boston to get back in the game in the third. It was the third loss in Calgarys last four home games, dropping the club to 5-7-3 at the Saddledome this season. This evenings game marks the first meeting between the Canes and Flames since Calgary posted a 7-6 home win on Dec. 6, 2011. Igginla scored twice for the Flames in that win.dddddddddddd Calgary has taken five of seven from Carolina overall and the Hurricanes have dropped four straight and five of six at the Saddledome. Carolinas last win in Calgary came on Dec. 12, 2002. After consecutive losses to begin a four-game road trip, the Hurricanes hope to pick up a win in Calgary. The Hurricanes carried a three-game winning streak into this current trek, but lost 2-0 at Vancouver on Monday before dropping a 5-4 overtime decision the following night in Edmonton. However, Carolina did do a good job to even earn a point in Tuesdays setback, as they fell behind 4-1 to the Oilers before mounting a comeback. The Staal brothers -- Jordan and Eric -- each scored a goal to cut the deficit to 4-3 and Jeff Skinner tied it late in the third for Carolina. Eric Staals short-handed tally came 7:47 into the third period and Skinners tying marker was at the 14:46 mark. However, Jordan Eberle notched a power- play goal at 1:48 of OT to deliver the 5-4 victory for the hometown Oilers. "We showed some good jump battling back into the game," said Eric Staal. "Unfortunately, we had to kill a lot of penalties." In addition to goals from the Staals and Skinner, Carolina also received a tally from Tuomo Ruutu. Cam Ward took the loss after yielding all five goals on 29 shots. The loss dropped Carolina to 6-7-2 as the visiting team this season. The Canes will complete the swing Saturday in Phoenix before playing three of their next four in Raleigh. Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale Jerseys Wholesale NFL Jerseys Jerseys From China Wholesale NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys Cheap Jerseys ' ' '

Профиль Отправить личное сообщение  
Cпасибо сказано 

Часовой пояс: UTC + 2 часа